ARC Review of Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Wither (The Chemical Garden Trilogy)

In the not too distant future, because of genetic engineering, every human is a ticking time bomb. Males only live to age twenty-five, and the females only live to age twenty. To keep the population from dying out, girls are kidnapped and sold into polygamous marriages. When sixteen-year-old Rhine is taken, she enters a world of wealth and privilege that both entices and terrifies her. She has everything she ever wanted-except freedom. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to escape Before its too late.

Blurb from the back of the book.

My thoughts.
Ok so this book was definitely not what I was expecting. It is a YA and Lauren's first. It was a very captivating read. I found it a little dark for the target audience which is 14 and up . I even found it a little dark for myself and I am 22. The situations that Lauren describe are dangerous and enticing. I found myself drawn into the characters and the story. I was extremely captivated and I felt myself feeling every emotion that Rhine felt.
Rhine and two other girls are sold into a marriage that only one of the girls seems remotely happy with. She falls for a servant boy which is extremely dangerous for the both of them. Their "husband" has no idea of how the girls were brought  to him. He believed that they went to a school for brides and this is the life they wanted to live. He does not know that his father has brought them their not of their own free will.
I found myself yelling out loud as I am reading the book. I was frusterated for these poor girls and what they have to go through.
There are sexual references, and teenage pregnancies and some dark topics but It was an amazing read and I think it sends a great message.

Wither will be released March 22 2011. I really recommend this book.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to this one. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man! I LOVE this cover! I read another ARC review of it on another blog and I can't wait to get it and tear through it. I think the concept is very unique and I want to read it before it gets exploited beyond interest.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Ashlie @ Bookish Novelties

    ReplyDelete