Review: Variant by Robison Wells

Variant (Variant, #1)
Release Date: September 26 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 337
Format: Paperback
Genre:YA/Fiction/Post Apocolyptic
Source:Purchased


Goodreads Synopsis:
Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.
He was wrong.
Now he's trapped in a school that's surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.
Where breaking the rules equals death.
But when Benson stumbles upon the school's real secret, he realizes that playing by the rules could spell a fate worse than death, and that escape--his only real hope for survival--may be impossible.

My Thoughts:
I was so blow away by Variant. This was such an amazing book that I cannot praise it enough. This story is so unique and creative. Variant to me is like a modern day Lord of The Flies.

I loved Benson. I thought that he was the most level headed character throughout the entire novel. When he finds out that Maxfield Academy is nothing like he thought it would be, his only thoughts are about escaping. But then he finds out that that just might not be an option.

But Benson starts getting comfortable at Maxfield until everything turns deadly.

There are no teachers at Maxfield Academy. The entire place is run by the students and they could not be more thrilled. The entire school is brainwashed into believing that this is the best way for them to live. But it turns out that the school is hiding so much more.

Variant is so fact paced and is one of the most riviting YA thrillers that I have read in a very long time. I could not put the book down. From the first page to the last, Robison keeps you sucked into his world of Maxfield Academy.

This book also had one of the greatest cliffhangers that I have come across in a while. That only adds to suspense for book 2 even more than there already was.

1 comment:

  1. I think I've read positive reviews of this book before, but now I'm actually going to add this to my TBR list--sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete