Review: Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)
Release Date: April 24 2012
Publisher: Greenwillow
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 319
Genre: YA/Dystopian
Source: Purchased

Goodreads Synopsis:
Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population, and those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery makeup . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club--in the depths of her own despair--Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club, and Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find not just something to live for, but something to fight for--no matter what it costs her.

My Thoughts:
This book was different and interesting. To tell you the truth I still don't know how I feel about it. I liked it but it was a little on the odd side for me. It was very captivating and haunting and also sad but while I was reading it I had two completely different backdrop pictures in my mind. I pictured a Victorian era as well as a medival era. I know right, a little weird. Despite this the story was good.

The character's are believeable but I did have some issues with Araby at times. Sometimes the self pitying became a little too much but it was something that I could over look. The story wasn't an in your face kind of story, but there was something so captivating about that I couldn't help but finish it. I also did not understand the two "plagues". I was under the assumption that the first "plague" was what the story was about but then it turns out that there is another "plague". 

Masque of the Red Death isn't a read that I was compelled to finish and do nothing else until it was done but it had it's haunting qualities that were very enjoyable. I really enjoyed Araby's relationship with Will. This is one of my favorite peice's of the entire book. When they were together the read became more enjoyable then when they weren't. Bethany left the book off in a way that definitely makes me want to read Dance of the Red Death. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment