Review: Quarantine by Lex Thomas


Quarantine: The Loners
Release Date: July 10 2012
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Format: Hardcover
Pages:416
Genre: YA/ Fiction
Source: Publisher

Goodreads Synopsis:
It was just another ordinary day at McKinley High—until a massive explosion devastated the school. When loner David Thorpe tried to help his English teacher to safety, the teacher convulsed and died right in front of him. And that was just the beginning.

A year later, McKinley has descended into chaos. All the students are infected with a virus that makes them deadly to adults. The school is under military quarantine. The teachers are gone. Violent gangs have formed based on high school social cliques. Without a gang, you’re as good as dead. And David has no gang. It’s just him and his little brother, Will, against the whole school. 
 
In this frighteningly dark and captivating novel, Lex Thomas locks readers inside a school where kids don’t fight to be popular, they fight to stay alive.


My Thoughts:

I was absolutely floored with how much I loved Quarantine. It was raw and disturbing and I loved every second of it. It was fast paced and I was not bored once through the book. This is the type of book that you cannot put down until you reach the end. 

The entire idea of a school being under quarantine due to a deadly virus that only kills adults was very original. I loved that the virus only lays dormant in teens. 


The entire school looses their minds.. almost literally.. due to being locked up with each other for such a long period of time. Gangs form and alliances are made and broken. Surviving is the only thing they can think about. 


But how far is too far? When do you loose sight of who you are and your humanity? And how far are you willing to go?


I loved David. I thought he was such a great character. He did what he had to due to survive at McKinley high but he also didn't loose sight of himself. Will was also a great character. I believe though, that if it wasn't for David that Will would have lost himself in the fight for survival.


The character's where great, the plot line was great. The entire story in my opinion was amazing. I loved how the author's weren't afraid to be brutal. It was realistic and scary. 


Quarantine is one of those novel's that will stick with me for a long time. I cannot wait to see what happens in book two. Such a great book. I cannot praise it enough. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment