Review: Me Since You by Laura Weiss

Me Since YouRelease Date: February 18, 2014
Publisher: MTV Books
Format: ARC
Pages: 368
Genre: YA Contemporary
Sources: Netgalley

Goodreads Synopsis: 
Laura Wiess captures the visceral emotion of a girl’s journey from innocence to devastating loss and, ultimately, to a strange and unexpected kind of understanding--in this beautiful and painfully honest new novel.


Are there any answers when someone you love makes a tragic choice?
Before and After. That's how Rowan Areno sees her life now. Before: she was a normal sixteen-year-old--a little too sheltered by her police officer father and her mother. After: everything she once believed has been destroyed in the wake of a shattering tragedy, and every day is there to be survived.
If she had known, on that Friday in March when she cut school, that a random stranger's shocking crime would have traumatic consequences, she never would have left campus. If the crime video never went viral, maybe she could have saved her mother, grandmother--and herself--from the endless replay of heartache and grief.
Finding a soul mate in Eli, a witness to the crime who is haunted by losses of his own, Rowan begins to see there is no simple, straightforward path to healing wounded hearts. Can she learn to trust, hope, and believe in happiness again?

The Cover: The cover on this one was very intriguing. A pretty girl, soft colors, sunlight shining down; could be any teenage girl enjoying the sun. But there is a hint of sadness, even in the title.

The Plot: The storyline to this book was something else. I don’t think I have ever cried so much while reading a book. I felt drawn right into the book, feeling the family’s general sense of happiness, then the pain, the anger, new love even. As I tended to everyday things while I read Me Since You, I often had to remind myself that my family (my real family, not my book family!) had no idea what I had just read, and although the emotion was so strong, they would have no idea where it came from or why mommy was crying. It really was an extremely emotional read.

Characters:  I loved all the characters. They were wonderfully created, each having their own flaws, strengths, relationships with family, friends, and co-workers. I loved the dynamics of Rowan and Eli (loved the names, too). Eli had his own story that was extremely emotional for me as well and I thought the developing relationship between Rowan and Eli was good to see and cheer for.
Rowan’s mother and father, grandmother and grandfather all claimed pieces of my heart, as they went through the difficult aftermath of that one fateful call to duty.

Is it Worth Reading?:  Although this is far from the light-hearted fun read that you might take to the lake, it is definitely worth reading (with a box of tissue and maybe chocolate). I could not put it down, literally finishing it in less than 24 hours. I totally recommend it for anyone who has the guts to stick with a truly emotional story, a book about family tragedy, loss, love and hope. I give it 5/5 crossbows, arrows laced with hope.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment