From Books to the Big Screen

As most of you know the last couple of years  there have been a lot of books to movie adaptations and I personally love it. I really enjoy watching a film of a book I've read so see how they interpret that book into film. Some have been great and other's not so great. When I read a book I always wonder what it would be like as a movie. What actor's will they pick to play the character's? What will they leave out? Will they be able to envision the story the way I envision it? I always love watching a story come to life on screen. Yes I have been disappointed in some of the adaptations but hey it happens right.


 I am going to share some of the most recent books to movie adaptations from the YA genre that I have really enjoyed and the ones that I didn't.



Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

I wasn't as happy with this one. I thought it was going to be so much more than it was. The books were absolutely fantastic and I don't feel like they really captured the greatness of the book on the big screen. It wasn't horrible but I feel like if someone who never read the books wouldn't appreciate the movie as much as they would have if they had read the books. I didn't like the actor that they chose for Lena. I did enjoy who they chose for Ethan though. He had the whole good boy from down south role nailed.

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare



One of my all time favourite books brought to the big screen. I was absolutely estatic when I found out they were making this book a movie. It took me a bit to get into the actor who they chose to play Jase. In my mind he looked much much different. But they did a fantastic job for the casting of Clary. I was really surprised with Magnus' character but I think they did a great job with this one. The graphics were fantastic and they did a great job of putting all of the most important parts of the book into movie so that those who have never read the book would be able to follow along and get the gist of the story. Oh and having Jonathan Reyes Meyer playing Valentine. OMG! sorry fan girl moment I love him.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



This one was very well done. They were able to capture the emotion of the book very well onto screen. The casting was fantastic and the production of both movies were very well done. I would have preferred if they had switched the actors for Peta and Gale but that's just me loving Liam Hemsworth! But Josh Hutcherson does bring across Peta's emotions well. This cast has done a great job of portraying the books well.

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (2014) Poster

LOVED the entire series and I adored the movie. I do think that they could have gone a little bit more into the background of each factions but my husband watched the movie with me and has never read the book and he could follow along with the storyline. The casting for Divergent has such an A-List cast that there was no way they were screwing up any of the casting. Shailene was a fantastic Tris and OMG Theo James as Four YUMMY! Divergent is such an in depth book that there was no way that they were going to be able to put every bit of the book into the movie but they did a great job of trying. I loved that they didn't try to change the story at all. I know that with some book to movie adaptations I watch them and scream "That Never Happened"  Needless to say I loved Divergent.

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

I Am Number Four (2011) Poster

I am not all that into Sci-Fi but I am Number Four was an amazing book but the movie was just alright for me. There were a lot of parts in the movie that didn't match up to the book. I really enjoyed the casting. This one is an iffy one for me. I didn't hate it but it didn't over all love it either. 

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy (2014) Poster

I adore this series and have read every book. I really really liked this one as a movie except two things. I hated who they chose to play Dimitiri. I could not get over it. It just didn't feel like he was the best actor that they could have gotten to play him. I loved who they chose to play Rose though. She had Rose's character down pat. The attitude and snarky come backs were great. This was another movie that if you had not read the book you would have been able to understand the movie perfectly. They did a great job of following the storyline. I was extremely happy with this one.


Now I'm going to list the books to movies that are upcoming and that I am excited for

The Fault in Our Stars by John Greene

The Giver by Lois Lowry



The Maze Runner by James Dashner



If I Stay by Gayle Forman



The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey




Which ones did you love or hate? Which book to movie adaptations are you most excited for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment