ARC Review: My Best Everything by Sarah Tomp


My Best EverythingMy Best Everything by Sarah Tomp
Release Date: March 3 2015
Format: ARC paperback
Pages:400
Publisher: Little Brown for Young Readers
Genre: YA/Contemporary/
Source: Publisher

Goodreads Synopsis:
You say it was all meant to be. You and me. The way we met. Our secrets in the woods. Even the way it all exploded. It was simply a matter of fate.

Maybe if you were here to tell me again, to explain it one more time, then maybe I wouldn’t feel so uncertain. But I’m going back to the beginning on my own. To see what happened and why.

Luisa “Lulu” Mendez has just finished her final year of high school in a small Virginia town, determined to move on and leave her job at the local junkyard behind. So when her father loses her college tuition money, Lulu needs a new ticket out.

Desperate for funds, she cooks up the (definitely illegal) plan to make and sell moonshine with her friends, Roni and Bucky. Quickly realizing they’re out of their depth, Lulu turns to Mason: a local boy who’s always seemed like a dead end. As Mason guides Lulu through the secret world of moonshine, it looks like her plan might actually work. But can she leave town before she loses everything – including her heart?

The summer walks the line between toxic and intoxicating. My Best Everything is Lulu’s letter to Mason – though is it an apology, a good-bye, or a love letter?
 



My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this book. The storyline was well written. The love story was realistic and the concept was unique and genuine. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect with this one. The fact that it's about a modern day moonshine operation kind of threw me for a loop but it was intriguing and best of all new. What I mean by new, is that this is a storyline that I have not yet come across in all my years of reading and blogging. It's different and fresh and I think that is what enticed me most to keep reading. 

The character's are fascinating and have tons of depth. The writing style is flawless and I had no trouble keeping track of Lulu's thoughts. I really liked that the book was Lulu's letter to Mason. You could feel her heart break with each word. My Best Everything is a great coming of age story.

Lulu and Mason's relationship is much like what you think it would be. Good girl with bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks but I think what is really interesting is how both character's seemed to switch roles. As Lulu continues on the path that is going to take her towards her future, she starts to loose herself. The reasons why she started with the whole operation continue but she starts to realize that she is willing to do things she never thought she would, whether those actions are good or bad. 

Lulu and Mason mean the world to each other. They both knew that as soon as summer was over Lulu planned to leave but as the summer continued they both fell, hard, and I am not sure if either of them realized just how much it was going to hurt. 

I would have to say that Seth and his trouble added the perfect amount of animosity to the book. It gave us what we needed, in terms of chaos and revenge. 

My Best Everything is a unique and thrilling tale. I would definitely recommend this book to a friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment